Plas Ayiti and Battleground
Participants: Carlos Kenj, Daniel Yencken, David Limose, Felipe Prando, Serge Norestin, Team Fresh. Video-installation, HD, 3 channel, stereo, 16′ – 2014
Plas Ayiti (Praça Haiti, in creole) is the name with which Haitian immigrants informally renamed Praça Tiradentes, a central square in Curitiba. The city is the fourth one to have received Haitian immigration in Brazil, between 2009 and 2014. Their presence clearly shows as a contrast in the capital, due mainly that the city's self-promoting image was based mainly on the histories of European migrations that happened in the beginning of the century XX.
Battleground is a photographic essay that presents a crossing of stories, people and landscapes whose distances correspond to more than 200 years: the extermination of a Kaingáng community (1796) and a working class community (from the 1940s) in a territory occupied and controlled by the Klabin/Lafer families, which owned the land and the paper factory that settled there around the 1940s. Battleground is a military expression that designates a territory previously chosen and prepared as a trap for which the enemy is routed through persuasion, or other subliminal ways.
Click on the edges of the images to change.
Felipe Prando (1976). Professor at the Department of Arts at the Federal University of Paraná, PhD in Visual Arts, ECA-USP. His visual research investigates the production and circulation policies of images in the public sphere. He has participated in exhibitions at the Gravura Museum (Curitiba), Oscar Niemeyer Museum, Paraná Contemporary Art Museum, Correios Cultural Center RJ, Santa Catarina Art Museum, Oswald de Andrade Cultural Workshop, Recoleta Cultural Center and San Martí Photogallery in Buenos Aires, Galeria Ojo Ajeno in Lima, Fundación Celarg in Caracas. In 2008 he received the Fellowship of Contemporary Photography (FUNARTE) and participated in the X Salão Nacional Victor Meirelles. In 2007 and 2012 he received the Visual Arts / Photography Scholarship from the Cultural Foundation of Curitiba.